Recipe: Broccolini with Cannellini Beans
Broccolini is a cross between broccoli and Chinese broccoli and has small florets with long, thin stems that cook quickly. Steamed Broccolini is easy — and is even tastier when sautéed just until golden brown with shallots and lemony cannellini beans. Serve as a quick side dish to make any meal special.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 bunches Broccolini, thick stems trimmed
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add Broccolini and ½ teaspoon salt and sauté 5–7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the Broccolini just begins to brown.
Add 2 tablespoons water to the bottom of the skillet, then cover and steam for about 2 minutes, until the stems are tender-crisp.
Remove lid and push Broccolini to the sides of the pan. In the middle, add remaining coconut oil with garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add cannellini beans, lemon juice, red chile flakes, remaining salt and pepper and toss lightly to warm through. Transfer Broccolini to serving plate, top with cannellini bean mixture and garnish with lemon zest and chives.