Recipe: Broccoli Rabe & Turkey Sausage Orecchiette
It’s time broccoli rabe got a proper introduction. For starters, it’s pronounced “rob.” But what’s the best way to bring out its unique nutty, slightly bitter flavor? First off, we don’t recommend eating it raw. Instead, start by blanching it to mellow out its bitterness. From there, you can sauté it, steam it, grill it — cook it any way you like. Once it’s cooked to your standards, you can substitute it into any recipe that calls for a spring green, like this delicious pasta recipe right here.
That’s just the beginning. With Andy Boy Organic Broccoli Rabe on sale for $1.99 per bunch — from March 13 to March 26* — you can get creative with everything from soup to curry to frittatas. This spring, we predict broccoli rabe will be your go-to green.
Broccoli Rabe & Turkey Sausage Orecchiette
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 30 min
- 1 pound box orecchiette pasta
- 1 bunch Andy Boy Broccoli Rabe, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 turkey sausages, casings removed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pasta water (reserved)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add orecchiette and cook for 8 to 9 minutes or so until just al dente, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Within last minute of cooking time, blanche the Andy Boy Broccoli Rabe by adding it to the boiling water, then drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Remove turkey sausages from their casings and break up in skillet. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes until browned and fully cooked.
- Dry the pot the pasta cooked in and add back to stovetop with remaining 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Sauté garlic for 30 seconds over medium-high heat. Add pasta, broccoli rabe, turkey sausage and pasta water, stirring well.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, stirring well to combine. Continue to cook another 2 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Garnish with extra Parmesan and red pepper flakes, then serve and enjoy!
*Valid 3/13 – 3/26/19. Andy Boy Organic Broccoli Rabe only. While supplies last. Quantities limited. No rain checks. U.S. only. May not be available at Whole Foods Market 365 stores.