Recipe: Grilled Turkey Burgers with Manchego
Using a combination of dark and light meat turkey makes a particularly tender and flavorful burger. Add another layer of flavor with crispy root chips on the burger. You’ll feel like a kid again.
Grilled Turkey Burgers with Manchego
- 2 pounds ground turkey (preferably 1 pound thigh and 1 pound breast)
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ medium red onion, grated (other half thinly sliced into rings for serving)
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into quarters
- 6 ounces manchego cheese, sliced
- ½ cup Dalmatia Organic Fig Spread
- Fresh arugula, for garnish
- Root vegetables chips, for garnish (optional)
- 6 Whole Foods Market Brioche Hamburger Buns
Prepare a grill for medium-heat cooking. In a large bowl combine turkey, bread crumbs, grated onion, pesto and salt. Gently mix together until just combined. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions — the mixture will be quite moist — and press into ¾-inch-thick patties.
Grill burgers and peppers on an oiled rack until browned on one side, about 5 minutes. Flip and grill on the other side, about 4 minutes. Add cheese to burgers and place buns cut-side down on grill, cover and continue cooking until a thermometer reads 160°F and juices run clear, about 1 minute more.
Slice peppers into thick strips. Serve burgers on buns with fig spread, arugula, onion, pepper strips and chips (if using).